Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Paul: Humble Servant or Superman

I can't help but think about the complete metamorphosis that the apostle Paul underwent. He went from persecuting Christians to the fullest, to becoming one of the most well known martyrs of all time. This was a man who truly rejoiced in his sufferings.

"About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them". Acts 16:25 (NIV)

However, it is not Paul's martyrdom that intrigues me. It is his utter disregard for his own personal safety. It is his faith. It is his four missionary trips. It is his concern and love for all of the churches. But above all else, it is his humility that not only intrigues me, but also convicts and inspires me.

"For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God". 1Corinthians 15:9 (NIV)

Wow!! Did he actually say that? (of course he did its the word of God) Are you kidding me? Doesn't deserve to be called an apostle? Ok....to start the early churches, this man went on four missionary trips, travelled literally thousands of miles over the course of years, risking his life, going through hostile nations, and suffered in prisons. By today's standards (especially in the West), we would be calling him Superman. But, by Paul's own standard, he wasn't worthy enough to be called an apostle. If I could only be so humble.

Just in case you have never seen a map of Paul's missionary journeys, just click on the following link. I find it quite impressive to say the least. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/biblemaps/13

My hope is that we who call ourselves Christians would consider Paul's humility; that as we serve in our own churches, that we would do so with a humble heart. I hope that we would consider our service to God a privilege and an honor instead of an obligation or an inconvenience.

Personally, I spent most of my life as an enemy of God. Now, it is my privilege to be nothing so that He can be everything. Thank you Jesus for showing us what it is to be a humble servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment