Monday, July 6, 2009

Taming the Tongue

Everywhere I go, I can't escape the vile garbage that people are spewing out of their mouths. I am not casting judgment upon them. I am just extremely concerned about the complete acceptance of this type of language in our society and the effect it will have on the generations to come. I have even been told within certain church communities that I am too legalistic; that cursing or swearing really only counts if your using God's name. I couldn't disagree more!!

"All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and creatures of the sea are being tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil full of poison". James 3:7-8(NIV)

James paints a vivid picture for us and I couldn't agree more. After all, how can you disagree with God's word if you call yourself a genuine Christian. The so-called "lesser" swear words that many consider harmless are just the seeds of something more poisonous.

I exhort all who read this post to really consider what it means to be Christian. If we truly want to be like Christ, and to shine His light upon the rest of the world, then we better consider Him before we open our mouths. One seemingly harmless swear word is like a tiny germ that eventually becomes a festering infection.

My prayer is that we as Christians would lead the way in changing what language is deemed as acceptable in our society by truly being a reflection of Jesus for all the world to see. May God cleanse our mouths with His soap so that our children won't be infected by our poisonous tongues. Let us stand firm in the midst of a contaminated world. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. OR maybe James who didn't even know the F-word was talking about the constant backbiting and gossip within the church of Jesus Christ.

    How about starting with stuff that infects the church and let the Holy spirit do the "language vacuuming"???

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. What a great post and much needed word. I have been guilty of having a foul mouth. At times we can try and change what comes out of our mouth but until our heart is filled with the word of God and His love; that is almost impossible. You may tame it for a minute but let someone cut you off in traffic or let you hit your little toe on the corner of the bed; It will happen without your even knowing. I am a true believer that only the Holy Spirit can prune us of a foul mouth. Sometimes our mouth is foul with even using curse words. We say things like, "I am so fat." I am never going to learn that." "I am always going to be in the position." We speak death instead of life and that is just as bad if not worse. How about changing our thinking and focusing on the goodness of God and letting Him transform us by the renewing of our minds with the word of God!

    Faith Talk

    ReplyDelete